Thursday, September 16, 2010

Homesick for Autumn

As we embark upon fall I find i am increasingly homesick for Utah. Autumn is my favorite season. I love the smell in the morning on a crisp fall day where the air has blown down the mountains. The beautiful colors of the leaves and how they fall all around. Sunday drives up the canyons to enjoy all the smells and colors, stopping to collect all the beautiful fallen leaves in such vibrant colors. I used to love going on long walks in the fall, walking briskly along breathing in as deeply as i can with a silly grin plastered on my face. Watching the leaves float to the ground and feel the crunch in my step as I walked over those already there. The sudden urge to skip along, or break into song like on the sound of music. The cool evenings where its cold enough to bake but warm enough to leave the windows open. I love being outside when its not too hot, or cold. Where you can wear jeans comfortably but no coat. When I was a child I used to climb up into the tree's in the fall and sing to myself ( or as i imagined the animals as i seemed to have some deep fascination with becoming snow white). I would lay back on the branch, and just watch the leaves. I have a long standing romance with tree's, anyone that knows me well likes to tease me about it. If i could live in the middle of the woods in a tree house ( like Swiss family Robinson) I would be in eternal bliss. Fall weather is the best for laying on the grass and reading the afternoon away, and while your out there eating a juicy crisp apple and taking a little nap. Its also the best time to swing, pumping as high as you can then leaning back with eyes closed and breathing in the smell of the falling leaves, feeling the warm sunlight on your face and you float back and forth. Oh fall, how i miss thee!!

Cory and I seven years ago when we were engaged. see how how happy I am with my tree and my leaves and my perfect temperatures?



Sadly there is no fall for me here. Its still feeling like July, hot and sticky and not one Autumn smell.
Dear Utah,
Please don't rush into winter this year, I will be there for thanksgiving and really need some fall. Kindly ignore my children's prayers for snow when we come.. or at least wait till November 25th ( right before we leave)! Your beautiful mountains and tree's will be showered with adoration.
All my love,
Camilla




6 comments:

Barbara said...

Nostalgia doth a poet make.

Erin said...

I know what you mean. I struggle this time of year with the exact same homesickness for the same thing. Oh well. What is to be will be. Right? Good luck getting through the next couple of months. And enjoy your trip to Utah. I'm jealous!

Brenda said...

Wish you could come visit me! We are just getting started on leaf changing and fall temps.

Heather Tew said...

I hear ya, falls here suck! But we do have a nice winter. Not sure I will ever get used to it.

Unknown said...

I hear you! I was the same way when we lived in California and Texas. Idaho's falls are similar to Utah's. Love them!

Brimaca said...

I know what you mean. However, I do love winter here. It's not as pretty but you still get to have windows upen and a nice smelly breeze blowing through. Funny thing is I'm freezing all the time. Every since I had Damon I'm cold!